Title: Trust
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: July 12, 2013
Rating: K
Warnings: Potential spoilers for the Kyoto Arc.
Continuity: Mangaverse
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.

----------------------------------------

Tatsuma’s first sight of the flames - those hellish blue flames that had once filled the night with horror – sent panic through him. For an instant, the words to summon Karura were on his lips, his hands were moving in a warding gesture, and he thought he had been terribly wrong.

“I don’t want to be Satan’s son!”

The instant broke with the pain-filled words, and Ryuji’s barrier followed it. But, Tatsuma remained frozen, watching in silence as young Rin grabbed his son. Watching the rude, reckless boy who truly only meant to help.

It reminded him of another time. A time when the world had been white and cold, and a rude, reckless man had barged into his temple and his life and saved everyone.

Stepping back to wait, Tatsuma checked the letter tucked into his sleeve. His first impression had been right.

He could trust Fujimoto Shiro’s son.

----------------------------------------

Notes: In re-reading the Kyoto Arc, I realized that Tatsuma was standing just behind Rin when he and Bon/Ryuji fight. Yet, Tatsuma never intervenes, even though everyone else clearly thinks Bon's in danger.