Title: Understanding
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: December 23, 2013
Rating: K
Warnings: Spoilers for the Kyoto Arc.
Continuity: Mangaverse
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.
Authors's Note: Just a hypothetical scene between Bon and his father before the students left Kyoto.

--------------------------------------------------

            His father wasn’t a coward.

            As he waited to board the bus leaving Kyoto, that thought kept ringing in Bon’s head.  It was a bright point of pride and a tight ball of frustration rolled together.

            Because the secrecy still stung.  Even if he understood it.  And, he understood the price of Karura’s contract well. 

            But, more than that, what was the old baldy up to with this retirement act?  It wasn’t fooling anyone.

            “You’re too old for lullabies.”

            Scowling, Bon watched his father talk to Okumura, grunting along when needed. Then, Okumura was bounding for the bus.  Following, Bon glanced back and saw his father’s smile grow serious. 

            Their eyes met.  And, suddenly, he knew that he had been meant to know.

            He looked away and smothered surprise in a fresh scowl.  It wasn’t an explanation, but it would do for now.

            Because his father still wasn’t a coward.