Title: Apprentice
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: August 15, 2014
Rating: K
Warnings: None
Continuity: Any
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.
Author's Note: An attempt to guess at Shiro and Shura's early interactions as teacher and student.
Thanks to SageSK for steering me back on track.

--------------------------------------------------

             A calloused hand closed over small, grasping fingers, and Shiro smirked in triumph.

            “Got you again, brat.”

            Caught, Shura pouted and let his wallet slip from her trapped hand.  “How do you always know?”

            “Instincts.”  Shiro released her hand and glared down at the red-haired girl.  “That and, it’s a proven fact: if I don’t see you for two minutes, you’re somewhere raising the devil.”

            Shura grinned back, unrepentant.  “It’s your own fault.  You could send me back…”

            Her tone was light, her grin wicked, and her eyes haunted.

            Shiro cursed himself for going soft in the same breath he resigned himself to the tests and taunts.            

            “Haha.  Now, turn out your pockets.” 

            Let her test him.  He would never send her back.  Someday, she’d believe that. 

            In the meantime… Well, there had to be some use for an apprentice who could pickpocket twelve wallets with no one the wiser.