Title: Time and Again
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: March 6, 2015
Rating: K
Warnings: None.
Continuity: Mangaverse
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.

--------------------------------------------------

                        Crouched helplessly, uselessly beside Shiemi as she treated their wounded classmates, Rin wondered how things had gone so terribly wrong.  He fumbled through her instructions - pass this, hold that - as his mind screamed, “Why, why, why?

            “My, my, my.  This is a mess.”

            Rin looked up.

            That clown had appeared, mincing over the battlefield like he was afraid to dirty his tacky boots.

           Confusion swung to rage.

            Rin lunged across the distance between them to ball crisp, white fabric in his fist.

            “How could you let this happen?” he snarled.

            Mephisto regarded him calmly.  “Well, you can’t expect me to coddle you forever.”

            “Coddle me?”  Red flickered in Rin’s eyes.

            “Coddle,” said Mephisto.  “Do you have any idea how many times I have not let things happen?”  Green eyes glinted.  “Do you know how many times the Grigori demanded your execution before you found the right words to sway them?”

            “What?

            “Or the Impure King.”  Mephisto shuddered.  “I lived that little escapade more times than I care to think.” 

            Rin was staring now, anger forgotten as Mephisto flashed a smile of sharp fangs.

            “In short, I have already turned back time for you many, many times, Okumura Rin.”