Title: Worthwhile
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: December 20, 2015
Rating: K
Warnings: Spoilers for the end of the anime
Continuity: Animeverse, post-series
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.

Author's Note: Just a little post-anime short for the twins' birthday.

--------------------------------------------------

            Yukio was only picking at the birthday dinner he’d prepared, and Rin didn’t like it.

            “Oi,” he said, “what’s wrong?”

            Life had been quiet since they closed the Gehenna Gate.  Yukio had been allowed to return to his duties, and Rin had actually passed his first semester.  Now, it was Christmastime, and they should enjoy it.

            Yukio didn’t look at him.  “Is it really okay?” he murmured.  “That we were born?”

            “Whaaaat?

            “Being what we are,” Yukio explained.  The tail he usually kept hidden twitched for emphasis.

            Rin growled low in his throat, and Yukio looked up.

            “Are you still saying things like that?” said Rin.  He jabbed his chopsticks at Yukio.  “After everything that happened?  After all everyone did for us?”

            “Everyone—?”

            “Shiemi told me,” Rin clarified.  “They could’ve been killed trying to save me.  Even without Satan showing up.  She said that Angel creep nearly took Eyebrows’ head off.”  He slapped the chopsticks down on the table, voice rising.  “And, what about the Old Man?  He didn’t see anything wrong with raising us.  And, he…”  Rin’s voice wavered.  “He died to get Satan away from me!”  He stood then, shouting.  “So, don’t say we shouldn’t be alive when everyone has done so much to keep us that way!”

            Yukio stared at him, and Rin glared back.

            “Brother….”  Yukio ducked his head and then looked up with sober eyes.  “You’re right.”

            “Of course I am.”

            “Yes, yes.”  Yukio smiled.

            “Now, eat your dinner and enjoy it!”

            “Yes, yes.”