Title: There's No "Human Shield" in Team
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: January 4, 2016
Rating: K+
Warnings: None
Continuity: Learns mangaverse anytime after Chapter 43/the Seven Mysteries Arc.
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.

--------------------------------------------------

             ‘He’s doing it again.’

            Suguro cursed, watching Okumura dive between Kamiki’s familiars to slash at a leaping hobgoblin before lunging over the burning corpse to attack another angling for Moriyama.  He landed too close.  Much closer than Moriyama, who had been using her familiar to tangle the hobgoblins in vines from a distance.  Close enough that sharp claws tore through one pant leg.  But, the half-demon ignored it, hacking the hobgoblin in half before finally jumping back to the position he was supposed to be holding guarding Konekomaru.

            When, not a minute later, Okumura jumped in front of him to block a hobgoblin’s charge, Suguro saw red.  Speed fueled by fury, he swung around the blue-burning idiot and smacked the attacking demon aside with his bazooka.  The creature tumbled into the young teach’s path and was destroyed.
 
            The danger past, Suguro turned on Okumura.  “What’re you doing, you idiot?  Stop trying to do everything yourself!  Konekomaru told you to be our trump card, not our shield!”

            Okumura gaped back stupidly.  “Eh?”

            “He’s right,” Konekomaru agreed as their group drew together.  “And, you can’t be the best trump card if you’re injured.”

            “But, I—”                    

            “It’s not like we’re helpless without you,” Kamiki sniffed, looked away.  “And, even you take a few minutes to heal up.”

            “We want you safe too,” Moriyama added.  “You trust us to do our parts, don’t you, Rin?”

            Okumura ducked his head at their combined assault.  “Y—yeah.”  He looked back up, smiling.  “Yeah, I do.”