Title: Define
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: March 18, 2019
Rating: K
Warnings: Spoilers for Chapter 109.
Continuity: Mangaverse, set amid the flashback events in Chapter 109.
Disclaimer: “Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist” belongs to Kazue Katou, Shueisha, Aniplex, and various other parties.


           Racked with birthpangs and surrounded by an apocalypse writ small, Yuri Egin tried to focus. A woman was beside her, shouting. But, the words ran together and were lost in the screaming, crashing chaos around them.

           Her baby. That was one of her babies out there.

           The source of flames and screaming and the horrible smell of burnt flesh.

           She wanted to cry.

           He didn't know. He didn't know who or what he was. What he could be.

           Because he didn't have to be this. He wasn't his father.

           But, he wasn't her Rinka either.

           That was important.

           Yuri was a master Tamer. She knew the importance of Names.

           And, this was one of the two most important Names she would ever give.

           Fighting the pain, she forced herself to focus. To remember everything she hoped for her children. And then, to remember the first time she saw dancing blue flames. She reached deep and gathered up that mingled hope and joy and wonder and wrapped it in a single, bright word.

           "Rin!"

           Something boomed, and her voice was lost beneath it.

           And yet...

           A sudden quiet fell.

           Until it was broken by the first soft cry of a newborn.

------------------

Author's Note: A random guess as to how this situation might be resolved.