Title: Intractable
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: March 13, 2010
Rating: K
Warnings: None.
Disclaimer:  “Fullmetal Alchemist” belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.
Author’s Note: Kudos to SageSK for the name Elias.

------------------------------------

Elias Elric had never met a teacher he couldn’t talk rings around. There was little any of them could teach him. He had learned to read and write long before his formal schooling began. He was proficient in mathematics years beyond his peers. And, in the event anyone tried to find him lacking in other areas, he had read widely enough to have a decent grasp of history and literature.

As far as Elias was concerned, he had no need for school. The only thing he wanted to learn was alchemy. And, after the third teacher in a row left the school crying, his father agreed that Elias was old enough to be taught.

But, not by him.

Instead, with a kiss from his mother and a tearful hug from his uncle, Elias was taken to Dublith. There he was introduced to Izumi Curtis. And, learned that his famous father was a coward. The famed Fullmetal Alchemist exchanged perhaps ten words with Mrs. Curtis, thrust his unsuspecting progeny through the door and made his escape.

And, so it was that Elias met the only teacher he could not best.

Because Izumi Curtis was inhuman.

The woman did not merely teach alchemy. She taught alchemy, martial arts and the school of hard knocks. Mostly the latter.

At the end of the year, Elias Elric had learned all three plus a side of humility.

And, when his father returned for him, he found nothing cowardly in the speed with which they left.