Title: Hare-Raising
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: June 29, 2010
Rating: G
Warnings: None unless mention of deceased rabbits bothers you.
Disclaimer: "Fullmetal Alchemist" belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.
Author's Note: Set during the manga/Brotherhood timeskip (between chapters 83 and 84 or episodes 45 and 46)


With three dead rabbits in hand, Ed made his way back to the makeshift campsite he shared with two chimera and a homunculus. He was grinning despite himself. His traps had worked well today. Three rabbits wasn't a feast split between so many, but it was preferable to another tin of beans.

Still grinning, he held up his catch as he came within sight of Darius and Heinkel sitting on a log by their small firepit.

"Got three today."

Darius looked from the rabbits to Ed. "You're a lifesaver, Ed."

"Now if we just didn't have to split it with the 'boss'," Heinkel added.

Ed groaned with them. Whether homunculi needed food or not, Greed never passed it up.

"Well, I'm already hungry, so…" Ed reached for a knife and began expertly skinning his catches.

Midway through the second rabbit, he realized he was alone. The two chimera had retreated to the other side of the camp and were studiously not looking his way.

"What's with you two?" Ed paused, considering something. "Hey!" He pointed the knife accusingly at the pair. "How come neither of you ever catch dinner? You've got animal instincts and stuff, right?"

Heinkel and Darius traded a quick furtive look.

"We do, but..." Heinkel faltered.

"It's the rabbits," Darius said. "Rabbits are... fluffy and…."

Ed stared at them, realization dawning. "I don't believe you two! You're two highly trained soldiers crossed with vicious wild animals and you won't kill a rabbit because you think it's cute?"