Title: Malice Aforethought
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: May 2, 2013
Rating: G
Warnings: Animeverse, spoilers for the end of the series.
Disclaimer:  “Fullmetal Alchemist” belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties
.

------------------------------------

Envy held the letter in his hands and resisted the urge to tear it into tiny pieces.

Barely.

A letter to that man. To Hohenheim. A letter from a son, Hohenheim’s son, Hohenheim's other son.

His replacement.

The paper started to crumple and tear beneath his fingers.

Dante snatched it away. She was saying something. The words were faint over the roar in his head.

“From Pride… ...doesn’t seem like this will lead us to Hohenheim. From the sounds of it, his new family doesn’t know where he is either.” She tutted to herself. “Pity.”

The envelope was still in his hands, and Envy read the return address.

Replacement. Would Hohenheim care if it died? Probably not.

Did it look like Hohenheim?

That might be... satisfying.

“I’m going.”

“Hmm?” Dante tilted her head. “Going where? I just said Hohenheim’s not there.”

“I want to be sure.”

“Mmm... I must admit that I’m curious about this Edward Elric myself.” Dante adjusted delicate reading glasses and studied the letter anew.

Envy already knew what it said. It was half a boring, “To Whom It May Concern” form letter asking for information on Hohenheim’s whereabouts and then half, “Oh, and does he know his wife is sick, and he should come home right now?” In any other circumstance, Envy would have laughed at it. Desperate. Pathetic. Maybe even a little angry. Humans like that were always good for a laugh.

Dante seemed to have reached a similar conclusion.

“To have sent this… what a desperate little boy.” Her eyes were calculating.

Envy knew that tone, and he knew that look. “You… want to use his son?”

Dante’s smile was predatory. “It would be quite fitting, don’t you think?”

And, for the first time in over a century, mother and son were in agreement.

------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note: This is my attempt to explain how Dante knew about Ed and Al's human transmutation. The anime states that she was present at least shortly afterward but never explicitly says how she knew to be there.