Title: Belated Birthdays
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: November 13, 2013
Rating: G
Warnings: None.
Continuity: Animeverse, set during episode 6.
Disclaimer:  “Fullmetal Alchemist” belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties
.

------------------------------------

Alphonse Elric watched the joy dancing in his brother’s eyes throughout the surprise birthday party Mr. Hughes had instigated and came to a decision. Not immediately, no. Not with dinner followed by the tumult and wonder of Elicia’s sudden birth. But, lying on his bed that night, listening to Brother’s even breathing, what had been the seed of a thought bloomed into a resolution.

He would have no more birthdays until his body was restored.

He couldn’t enjoy a meal and cake. What few presents he could enjoy - books mostly - would be a burden with no home in which to keep them. And, what was the point in celebrating another year of growth he wouldn’t experience?

But, most of all, he didn’t want to see his brother’s face when he realized what Al was missing. The guilt in Brother’s eyes would cut deeper than any lost pleasures.

Of course, Brother would realize the situation long before his birthday came around. Probably only Elicia’s arrival had kept him from brooding over it tonight.

So, Al would have to suggest something else before Brother thought of it. Something better than a birthday to keep the creeping guilt out of Brother’s eyes.

He pondered ideas as the room’s shadows rose and fell with the moon. And, by the time light began to brighten the sky, he had his answer.

No birthdays.

But, a day for every time they made progress toward their goal, no matter how small. A day he could ask to do something of his choosing. He could still enjoy sight and sound and the pleasure of good company, after all.

And, once they did restore his body, he was asking for the biggest cake they could find. So big he might even let Brother have just a little.