Title: Innate
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: January 9, 2017
Rating: G
Warnings: None.
Continuity: Fantasy Alternate Universe
Disclaimer: "Fullmetal Alchemist" belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.

Author's Note: While it's not connected to my Target/dragon!Roy series, but this does involve me trying to picture Winry in a similar fantasy world.

------------------------------------------------------------------

            The best automail smiths, it was said, had dragon blood. And, aware that there was ample proof of that old wisdom in the dragon-fed forges of Rush Valley, Winry Rockbell didn’t argue with it. She just added her own addendum.

            The best automail smiths had dragon blood or they were a Rockbell.

            Her grandmother was one of the best, after all. And, Winry meant to follow in her footsteps.

            It wasn’t easy. Long, hot hours in the forge hammering glowing steel into the form desired. Even longer hours layering in the delicate weave of spells that would animate it to replace flesh and bone. And, for the purely human, magic didn’t flow easily.

            No matter. Winry fed every trickle into her work as it came.

            This much to insure a successful grafting. That to provide locomotion. And, for Ed, at least a dozen spells of durability and protection.

            And, if her muscles ached and her inner reserves ran dry by the end of each job, it was still worth every drop of sweat and magic to see her patients as whole as she could make them.

            Because whatever innate power Winry Rockbell lacked, she more than made up in willpower.