Title: Protective
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: January 7, 2018
Rating: G
Warnings: None.
Continuity: Alternate Universe.
Disclaimer: "Fullmetal Alchemist" belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.


             Ed could hear Winry’s claws clicking against the wrench she was holding and wondered how close she was to outright breathing fire. 

             “I didn’t provoke the guy! He just attacked us!”

             Because he was a State Alchemist, but that was a worry Winry didn’t need. And, neither did he. If Winry decided that Scar guy had threatened what was hers... He only had to look at some of his own decisions to know how hard it was to talk a dragon-blood out of anything they’d decided to do. 

             And, Winry was like him and Al - a throwback with more dragon blood than her parents had ever showed. (Though the rumor mill claimed Hohenheim had been a true dragon, appearing out of the east to settle with a human woman for a time before disappearing again like in the old days. Which didn’t excuse him at all.)

             Anyway, fierce as Winry was, judging by the seared skin running down his neck, Scar had tangled with a dragon before. And, walked away. 

             Ishval knew dragons and the secrets of dragon-slaying. Everyone on the eastern border had once. Because not all dragons came across the desert with good intentions. 

             “It’s true, Winry,” Al chimed in, rattling his ruined armor. “A soldier had only just come to warn us there was a murderer in the area when we were attacked.” He bowed his helmet. “He didn’t make it.”

             Something in Winry’s eyes softened. “You two and trouble.” She blew out a smoky breath. “I guess I’ll just have to build an arm that can withstand even a dragon slayer.” 

             Ed started. “I didn’t say anything about—!”

             “You didn’t need to.” Winry turned to the table where Ed’s shattered automail was laying. “And, you’re not the only one who gets to be protective.”


Author's Note: This was inspired by my earlier drabble, Innate, and then musing on if Winry was in some capacity part-dragon. Though it more turned into a snapshot of an FMA world where dragon blood is common in Resembool.