Title: Challenge
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: January 4, 2017
Rating: G
Warnings: None.
Disclaimer: "Fullmetal Alchemist" belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.
Author's Note: Mangaverse, post-Promised Day

--------------------------------------------------

            Chris Mustang surveyed her new establishment.  It was smaller than her old place in Central but serviceable.  Especially when she hadn’t meant to start a business.  Not when she was only staying in Xing until things back home quieted down. 

            But, it wasn’t in her to do nothing.  And, between her business savvy and the local cook she’d partnered with, business was brisk.

            It should have been enough.  After all, she had some little jobs from Grumman.  Keeping her eyes and ears open.  Just enough to keep her sharp.

            It was a vacation.

            Until the young man with the sharp eyes and guileless grin staggered in, sobbing drunkenly about a cousin trying to steal his girl.  Based on the rumors, it was more likely his crown that was in danger.

            Because, while his disguise was good and his acting better, Roy-boy had described the young prince - now emperor – too well.  And, one quick, sharp grin told her the prince knew it too.

            Spy on one of the wealthier clan heirs?  Thousands of miles from her network where she couldn’t blend in?

            Though there was a certain refuge in audacity.  And, she always needed a little challenge in her life.