Title: Long Distance
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: October 3, 2020
Continuity: Any
Warnings: None
Disclaimer: "Fullmetal Alchemist" belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.


        October 3rd dawned gray and cold, and Ed found himself staring out yet another hotel window, watching dry leaves skitter across the street. It had been a year since they left home. He had been a State Alchemist for a year. And, he was no closer to restoring Al than when he started.

        Guilt and frustration welled in his chest.

        A sharp knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. Al stood from the little table where he was reading and opened the door to find the concierge outside.

        “Mr. Elric,” the man said, “there’s a call for you downstairs.”

        Ed and Al traded a look.

        “Probably the Colonel,” Ed said.

        Who else could have ferreted out where they were?

        Resigned, he followed the concierge down to the lobby with Al trailing behind. Accepting the receiver, he mumbled a greeting, not eager for a fresh assignment that would be just another detour from his personal mission.

        “I thought you’d be awake by now,” a voice that was decidedly not the Colonel’s answered.

        “Winry?” Ed gasped. “How did you know where we were?”

        “I made some calls,” she answered airily. “A lot of calls. Anyway, how are you?”

        “Huh?” Ed was still trying to calculate how many hotels Winry would have had to call to track them down. “W—We’re fine.” He motioned Al over to share the receiver.

        Ed only half-listened to Al greet Winry and promise her that they weren’t – currently – in any trouble. He was still staggered by the effort she must have gone through. Why would she—?

        October 3rd. A year since they left Resembool.

        “So,” Winry was saying, “I know you’re busy, but I just wanted to say… Good luck, and hang in there. No, that’s not right…”

        “Winry,” Ed leaned closer to the receiver, “thanks.”