Title: Cover Story
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: September 30, 2011
Rating: G
Warnings: None.
Disclaimer: "Fullmetal Alchemist" belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.
Author's Note: Set before the brothers leave on their quest, any continuity. Written for the elric_family community prompt "Solution".

------------------------------------------------------------------

"What about a horrible, disfiguring skin disease?"

"Brother! I'm not telling people that!"

"That's the thing – you don't tell them," Ed explained earnestly, pausing his automail exercises. "Just say it's personal, and you don't like to talk about it. If they push, mutter about all the flaking and the oozing pus."

"Brother!" Unable to scowl, Al filled his words with revulsion. "That's disgusting!"

"It would make people back off!"

"Ten feet, afraid I was contagious!"

"Horrible, disfiguring burn scars then?"

"Brother…" Al stopped and considered for a moment. "Why not say it's part of my alchemy training?"

"What kind of training includes wearing a huge suit of armor?"

"What kind of training includes stranding us on an island for a month, throwing knives at our heads and waking us up at two in the morning to throw more knives at our heads?"

"Point," Ed conceded. "Fine, alchemy training it is."