Title: Regrouping
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: November 15, 2020
Disclaimer: “Fullmetal Alchemist” belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Square ENIX, Studio BONES and various other parties.


The younger brother had no body.

Roy marveled at the nigh-impossible alchemy involved in that even as he danced back several feet, dodging a gauntleted fist. He had realized it the minute he laid eyes on the hulking armor and still cursed himself for not deciphering the riddle sooner. Hughes had described the oddities around the younger brother in detail as well as the elder's circle-less alchemy. And still, Roy had had to see it to recognize it, to sense it.

Of course, to bind a soul was so rare, forbidden, and costly even Roy could only say he’d heard of it in the elders’ lectures. And, that not often.

But now, it presented him with a unique challenge. He couldn’t easily subdue the younger Elric, and the boy had quickly realized the cause of his brother’s collapse and gone on the offense.

“My apologies.” He held his hands out, open and apart and bare of transmutation circles. A gesture that should translate well enough even if it didn’t quite mean he was unarmed. “I’m not someone who is welcomed here in the Capital, and I had hoped to speak with the two of you some place more private.”

Truthfully, he had hoped to spirit them away at least as far as the shadow of the mountains before they had this discussion.

“You could have asked,” the bodyless boy returned, crouching to gather up his unconscious brother as his burning eyes stayed steady on his assumed attacker. Then, he straightened until his armored form loomed tall over Roy.

He would have been quite intimidating if Roy’s mind had ever accepted his human form as his true one.

“I believe you would find my tale absurd without proof I can’t provide here,” said Roy.

There was a subtle shift in the armored form, and he could almost feel the boy arch an eyebrow he didn’t have. Knowing he had to offer something, Roy flicked his gaze over one armored shoulder to a shadowed attic window down the alleyway. A flash of light glinted from it.

Good. They were still alone.

“I can say that, given you were unaffected by a sudden lack of air to breath, I now recognize your rather… unique position.” The armor rattled with shock before the boy tucked his brother closer and tightened his stance as though ready to fight or flee. Seeing that, Roy snapped with the fingers of his still raised right hand such that hard claws turned fingernails dragged across one another and released a spark. Fire bloomed at his fingertips. “As I said, I have secrets of my own.”

The burning eyes under the horned helmet stared. Roy knew what he was processing. No transmutation circle. Except one formed by Roy’s own body.

“Could we meet in a more neutral setting?” Roy asked. “Perhaps a certain out of the way place I suspect we both know that’s quite familiar with secrets?” Roy let his eyes purposely flick to the unconscious elder brother. The one with automail.

The armor-bound boy caught on immediately. “When? Brother and I will need to plan.”

Indeed. As a Royal Alchemist, the elder brother would need permission to hare off into the wilderness where Rush Valley was hidden. But, Hughes could help that along.

Roy nodded. “Let’s say by the next full moon? I’ll meet you by the old furnaces.”

The formerly dragon-fueled furnaces. Curious that the brothers knew of Rush Valley and not its ancient alliance. So, the valley had grown cautious even with those granted entrance.

“Agreed,” the boy answered. His voice darkened. “And, I warn you – don’t try anything like this again.”

“You have my word.” Roy hoped the sincerity bled into his voice.

No, he thought, slipping away as the helmet momentarily ducked to check his brother’s condition. He had underestimated the Elrics once and had no intention of doing so again.

The realization caused the first stirrings of draconic longing to well inside. All dragons hoarded something, and, as those he’d handpicked had long ago guessed, Roy indeed preferred people. Rare, talented individuals overlooked by others.

Of course, he didn’t want them locked away in some cave. That would be a senseless waste. He wanted loyalty, not possession. After all, loyalty could only be earned and was thus far more precious. If he could earn the loyalty of such talented hatchlings…

And, they were hatchlings. Half-blood, but the dragon in them was strong. He had sensed it as soon as he got in range. The elder brother’s telltale gold eyes only confirmed it.

Behind him, he heard the armored boy speak again. “Who are you?”

Safe in shadow, Roy smiled and knew the heat mirage he had left in his stead mimicked it. “If what I’ve heard of you is correct, I believe I’m the very one you’ve been searching for.”

He let the mirage dissipate and hurried away silently.

Riza met him shortly after, descending from her perch and smoothly stepping up alongside him in the street.

“You let them go.”

There was a question in that statement.

“Should I not have?” he asked.

“No,” she said simply. “Not if you want them to ever trust you again.”

“I’m glad you agree.”

And, he was. Especially as she darted a subtle smile his way. He had taken the wrong tact with the Elrics, but perhaps it wasn’t a total loss. In more ways than one.