Title: Excuses
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: September 9, 2014
Genre:General/Humor
Warnings: None
Disclaimer: SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron, its characters and concepts are copyright to Hanna-Barbera Cartoons, Inc and are used without permission.

Author's Note: Inspired by TV Tropes' and the trope "I Need To Go Iron My Dog". And, because Sage SK double-dog dared me.


            Burke and Murray had chronically bad timing.  So bad Jake had stopped counting the times the twosome had been present when the alarm sounded.

            He had also stopped counting his excuses, having long ago run out of “things to take care of” and phones that somehow required both him and Chance to answer.

            (He was sure he’d even once told them he and Chance had to iron a car.)

            Whatever excuse he gave, the pattern never changed.  Murray laughed.  Burke laughed.  A few more insults were thrown.  And, the pair finally left.

            Jake eventually came to the conclusion that it didn’t matter what he said.

            So, he gave up trying.  “Look, guys,” he said one day, “we’re the SWAT Kats, and we gotta go save the city from the latest maniac trying to destroy it.”

            Burke and Murray stared.

            Then, Murray let out a hoot of laughter.  “Th’ SWAT Kats!  That’s rich!”  He cackled loudly as Burke followed suit.  “Keep that up, Clawson, and they’ll let you on the Litterbin Show!”

            Laughter.  Insults.  And, the twosome piled into their dump truck and peeled away.

            Chance was left staring at Jake.  “I can’t believe you said that.”

            “It worked, didn’t it?”