Title: I Could Not Stop For Death, So Death Took Me Out for Donuts
Author: Kristen Sharpe
Date: April 23, 1997


Stop looking at me funny! This was written three years ago as an English class assignment. It has no relation to my series or anything on this earth. It's simply a cute few paragraphs of silliness.


I opened the door to a rather surprising sight. There she stood with her bright red hair, perky smile, and....well, the rest of her was hidden in this huge dark blue robe.

"Hi. You're...." She stopped, brow furrowing in thought. ‘Don't tell me - I practiced really hard for this one - I don't wanna mess it up." She thought a few seconds more and then blurted out my name. "Kristen Sharpe! You're Kristen Sharpe, right?"

"Yes, I am," I replied. "You know you look familiar," I commented suddenly, unable to keep the comment from my lips.

"Well, I am your death - everybody gets their own special, tailor-made death, y'know," she returned brightly.

"Really?" The thought had never occurred to me. ‘Course I'd never really thought about my death.

"I know I'm supposed to wear black, but it's such a gloomy color," she went on.

"You've gotta point," I agreed. Then, a new thought registered. "Hey, whoa - if you're my death and you're here, then I'm dyin', aren't I?"

"Well, ye-es...... Oh, I hate delivering bad news!" she moaned. "Yer gonna hate me - I was so eager to meet you. Now, you're gonna hate me!"

"Don't get upset!" I exclaimed. "I don't hate you - I mean, somebody's gotta do the job, I s'pose...... You seem like a nice person - in fact, I couldn't think of someone else I don't know whom I'd rather have escort me to eternity."

"Oh, awesome! Y'know, we can talk on the way - I think we've gotta lot in common." She was getting really excited.

I remained silent. I wasn't sure I shared her enthusiasm. She wasn't the one dying here. But then, I knew what awaited me on the other side and I'd enjoyed my life. I couldn't think of anything important I was leaving unfinished. And, if my death was here for me, then it was time.

I grinned; her enthusiasm was contagious. Besides, death could be an exciting adventure.

"Well, what're we waitin' for?" I shouted exuberantly. "Let's get movin' before my second thoughts kick in!" I said as I stepped out of the door, joining death on the porch.

"Alright!" returned my death. "Say, you wanna stop by the Krispy Kreme? I'm famished, and it is on the way."

"Krispy Kreme is on the way to eternity?" I asked as we stepped off the porch.

"Well, you know, it is the next closest thing to Heaven."